The Night Circus (6 points)

I found my favourite part of the novel was waiting to see what new thing Celia and Marco would create. The story was more about the mystery of the challenge, the creativity of the contestants, the history of the contortionist, and the future of Poppy, Widget, and Bailey. I was disappointed with the sudden romance between Celica and Marco, though it was predictable. The "love at first sight" motif doesn't sit well with me, and though the story does seem to focus on "fate" it was just too pushed. I felt there was a specific moment when the story changed ideas, from whimsical mystery to destined lovers. I did however think the author's solution to their game was unique, and the love story was essential to this. I felt bad for Isobel, and that what Marco did was misguided. Isobel is made to be the one at fault and this didn't seem right to me. We know Marco was the one altering Chandresh's memories, and should be at fault for Fredrick's death, but instead Isobel is blamed. I felt Marco got off on this way to easy, and was simply glorified as pure because the author said so, not because he deserved it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annihilation (6 points)

The Hobbit (6 points)